Cheap But Not Cheap Guitars

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Jackson JS1 "Dinky" Electric Guitar


My First "Cheap" Guitar Project

I picked up this JS1 off eBay for a C note, since it was used and needed a little TLC. I think it was produced in the late 90’s. I had it shipped to my office; my first introduction to this little black beauty was a loud “BOOM” behind me and our mailroom guy tapping me on the shoulder to tell me that my “lamp” had arrived…nice. I was sure there was going to be issues with this guitar, but since it was packaged so well, it was all good.


Once I got the JS1 home and out of the box, the first thing I noticed is how absolutely macho the guitar looks! The reverse headstock makes it look as imposing as its big brothers, the JS20 and JS30. Despite the “Dinky” moniker, this is a full-sized guitar that has a Stratocaster body with a 22 fret rosewood neck. It features two Jackson standard humbuckers with a 3-way selector, along with a single volume and tone control.

This guitar apparently belonged to an everyday player; the numerous ding and scratches tell me that this was a working mans weapon of choice. The location of the scratches indicated that the guitar had been either dropped or scraped against something concrete or asphalt. I removed the guitar stings, added a little tung oil to the neck since it looked like it was drying out. I also took some paint and touched up the headstock and body so the dings and scratches wouldn’t be as noticeable. I strung it up with a set of Dean Markley Blue Steel 10's; I also went to my local guitar store and got another button for the selector switch. Ordering a back cover plate for the selector switch this week. No whammy bar on this one, but fine with me, since I don't generally use one. I thought about blocking the tremolo, but the 5 springs keep it in place, so no worries there.


Despite all the wear and tear, this cheap guitar sounds AWESOME! I have read other reviews that indicated that the pickups should be upgraded, but the sound I am getting out of it is just fine, coming out of my Roland Cube 30. I have played it both clean and severely overdriven (Metallica, Megadeth tunes), and love the sounds I am getting. Make no mistake, this is truly a metal rocker; just the looks make it difficult for me to play blues or surf on this thing (I got other cheap guitars for that stuff; stay tuned). Since I didn’t hear buzzing at any frets, I am reasonably sure that the neck is straight and true. This guitar is heavier than I thought it would be; this no doubt helps the awesome sustain.

Even used, you can see the care that was taken in producing the guitar; fit and finish of the neck is not too bad; my only criticism is the jumbo frets could have been a little more finished on the edges. All in all, this is a fine instrument for the price (Approx. $200 retail) and would be a fine addition to anyone's cheap (but not "cheap") guitar arsenal.


03/25/08 - UPDATE: Over the weekend, I was in contact with a dude on eBay that sells the selector switch backplate for Jacksons, but he didn't have the one for my cheap guitar in stock. I went ahead and did the next best thing: I went to my Home Depot and bought a 12x12 sheet of 1/8 clear ABS Plexiglas. I then traced a template for the backplate and cut to fit (trial and error). Since Plexiglas is darn near impossible to cut without the right tools, I scored the sheet in a straight lines with an Exacto-type blade and snapped off pieces until I got it down to just the right sized triangle. i then sanded it down to the proper shape from there. I put the nearly finished piece over the opening and marked the screw holes; from there it was a simple matter to drill the holes and attach the backplate. Check out the finished product below:











12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your site. You have very detail information of your guitar, it sounds like you know and care a lot about them.

t2fsu1 said...

Thank you!
I do indeed love all of my so-called "cheap" guitars, as well as playing and just talking about guitars and stuff...

Anonymous said...

When will you place a video of you playing one of your guitars?? so that we can see you in action. :)

t2fsu1 said...

One day soon, that's for sure! Looking to get my playing up to a level that i don;t embarrass myself or annoy you folks out there...will defintely get it done!

Thanks,

t2fsu

Anonymous said...

Hi t2fsu1 !
Thanks for pointing to the net this amazing guitar.
I bought a new Black JS1 Dinky to learn how to play guitar and i just love it.
For a beginner like me it's just perfect. Soft neck. It's so comfortable to play with it sitting or standing.
I agree with you about the pickups. They rock. And the better you play, the better this beauty sounds. Currently i'm playing with a MG15 Marshall. No effects yet.
I'll never change the pickups. The only thing i will change in this guitar are the strings ... duh !
And yeah ... i like the weight of this babe. Great sustain.
I highly recommend it.
Oh. Great idea was that ABS Plexiglas. Clever you.
Thanks for your site again.

t2fsu1 said...

Hey, Gongosama!

CONGRATS on your purchase! I am sure that you are no doubt enjoying your Jackson JS1... I know I still am!

Thanks so much for your your comments... Apologies for just now getting back to you.

Keep it rocking!

t2fsu1

Moonshine said...

Hi!
I have the same JS1 (1988). And I want to know if you know the place of manufacture.

salutes :D

NattinoCalibraciones said...

hi, i am giancarlo from chile, i want to ask you something about you guitar, from where is the guitar ? japanesse, or american?

thanks!

Jeremy McKinnon said...

Dear t2fsu1,
You are awesome! The way you talk and review and compliment the guitars sounds like you have lots of experience about guitars. Me? I'm just a rookie. You know, barely know the chords.

Cheers from China,(and I'm not chinese,)
Mr Awesome aka TheRookie12
Minecraft Name: N00BL337

chris said...

Even Jackson's low end guitars are great! I love all of my Jackson's. There's something about them that no other guitar manufacture does for me.

Anonymous said...

I bought a brand spankin new Jackson JS1 last year at the Huntsville Fret Shop and I mean I like it but I don't at the same time. I have to replace my pick ups in it because i have two little sisters and they poored some water or tea or something on my guitar and I got it dried off in time but the pickups haven't sounded quite right. I also would rather have the Floid Rose tremeloes because I've heard some good things on them. I think I'm going to just build a guitar with all that stuff on it though and keep my JS1 stock except for the pickups. I'm thinking more so emgs or seymore dunken invaders.

t2fsu1 said...

Hello again!
Ready to get back to it...Apologies for being away for so long.

To answer Moonshine and NattinoCalibraciones about the country of manufacture for the JS1. I found this great resource for tracing the origin of older Jackson Guitars - The Jackson Charvel Forum - based on the serial number of my JS1 (8 digits, starts with a "6") it was built in Japan in 1996.

Thanks and KEEP ROCKIN'