Cheap But Not Cheap Guitars

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Silvertone SSL3 Session Master Pro


Best Sub-$500 LP Copy? Could Be!!!

Here's a great tale of "good guitar gone bad" with a lesson learned on this one. I picked up this Silvertone SSL3 LP copy a couple of years ago as a blem for around $180. The minor cosmetic flaw it had would not affect the sound or playability, they advised. I had it shipped to the house; when I got home it was leaning against my door - upside down. Apparently, UPS pays no attention to the "this side up" stickers on the box. Upon unpacking the guitar, I was mortified to see splinters in the bottom of the box; the guitar clearly was driven across the country upside down; the splinters came from standing on its headstock the whole time (which speaks to the terrible packing job as well). There was a large chip in the headstock as a result. Oh well, what can ya do; I was in love already, plus the thought of dealing with a return on this thing (if I even could on a blem item) was a bad vibe that I wasn't feeling just then. I went ahead and made the best of a bad situation by painting over the chip with some glossy black paint. Once I changed the shipping strings and got it all tuned up, it played just great; I was glad to see that the traumatic shipping experience did not affect the guitar at all...or so I thought...read on.



How's it Look?
The guitar is beautiful! The fit and finish is just gorgeous. The top hat buttons and PAF-copy pickups make the guitar look like a real professional instrument. I would definitely play this one on stage. The neck is fast and smooth, the jumbo frets are finished nicely all the way up the neck (I have seen unfinished fretwire above the 12th fret on guitars in this price range that was unfinished and could actually cut your hand). I changed the strings that shipped with the guitar (I like heavier strings myself). No negatives on the quality of this one; I expect to keep this guitar for years to come. NOTE: I've seen this guitar with two different headstocks, the one that you see here, and a newer, more LP "rectangle" type headstock...me, I prefer the headstock I have, of course.



How's it Play?
This guitar was set up to play right out of the box!!! I didn't have to lower or raise any of the strings; there was no buzz at any frets. I was able to get all of my signature sounds out of this guitar (pick slides, squeals, artificial harmonics, etc.) The one thing you need to know is this guitar is a tad on the heavy side; it may be just slightly lighter than a real Les Paul...then again, that may add to the awesome tone and sustain! Overall, it's a really fun guitar to play, if you're looking for a decent LP copy.



How does it Sound?
The sound of this guitar is AWESOME! The tone is amazing for a guitar in this price range. I was looking for an inexpensive weapon for some metal and hard rock; this guitar definitely fits the bill. It totally fulfills all of my needs...I play mostly through the neck pickup, but occasionally play rhythm through both pickups; the sound is full and rich no matter the pickup selection. I play through my Roland Cube 30, both clean and through the onboard effects - the guitar delivers either way. The only thing I did to alter the instrument was to add a drop of superglue to the plug-in jack nut to stop it from coming loose continually (may be a no-no for most folks, but I planned to keep this guitar so it was all good).

This Silvertone guitar is PLENTY macho and has loads of sex appeal. It would certainly hold its own on stage versus any of the big names out there. Again, I would have had no problems gigging with this guitar.

And Then, There's THIS...

One night about a year ago, I went to pick up this guitar out of its stand. I grabbed it right at about the 1st fret, like I always do...heard a loud "snap" that turned out to be a crack across the neck, right at the first fret where it flares out to the headstock. I think that the neck was stressed by the way it was shipped (see above) and was thus destined for a shortened lifeline. In retrospect, I guess the heavier strings didn't exactly help the situation, but how was I to know? These things happen. Since this guitar has a set (glued-in) neck, if it was to be saved, it would have to be repaired by a professional luthier. At under $200 new, it just didn't seem like it was worth it. So now, I am left with an interesting wall hanging that makes a nice conversation piece. Oh yeah, the lesson learned: While you can't teach UPS that "fragile" and "handle with care" and "this side up" means just that, always make sure to throw a note on your shipping instructions about properly packing your guitar for shipping, especially if you are buying from a private party, as in the case of an Ebay auction. Am I going to purchase another one of these? YOU BETCHA!!! I still love the Silvertone SSL3.

8 comments:

Mike Vullo said...

Heya. Good stuff! Don't forget the Squiers, the Danelectros, the Jay Tursers and there's this cool company called Eastwood guitars that makes cool copies. Now if I could only revive the Univox company and grab one of their Ampeg/Dan Armstrong clear jobbies...i'd be good.
Mike

t2fsu1 said...

AGREED!!!
Next up is a review of my new little Squier Tele...I also own a Jay T (JT200 LP copy), and am waiting for a nice Dane to come up for auction on eBay...the Eastwood Guitars site is just too groovy; I spend a lot of time there just window shopping!!!

I think I saw Dave Grohl rocking a clear Armstrong in some old concert footage...LOVE that guitar!!!

Thanks for checking in, Mike!

Anonymous said...

This is a great blog- please start posting again! You've helped me pick a reasonably priced guitar for my 14 year old! :) At least keep writing- you're an excellent writer and you can spell and know grammar. All rare commodities nowadays.

t2fsu1 said...

Hey, casachaos!

Thanks for your kind comments! I am glad that I was able to help; hopefully your 14 yr old is enjoying the guitar and learning something new daily.

I did indeed go on a bit of a hiatus, but no worries; I still have 6 other "cheap" guitars to get out there, along with some other guitars that I would love to review - stay tuned!!!

Keep it rocking,

t2fsu1

Anonymous said...

I know this is an old post, but do you know what wood they use in the construction? I have one & am amazed by it. Mine needed a fret-level, but got that out of the way & it's all good.

Thanks & sorry to read about your LP.

Patrick

Geoff said...

Great site, shame there is no posts since 2008, there are a fair few cheap but not so cheap guitars around these days that would be good to get reviews of. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

I agree on the value and looks of this guitar .. I found mine at a pawn shop for less cost than a tank of gas .. it did need some attention to play like a real Les Paul! the bridge studs are not placed correctly it was impossible for the intonation to be right on so i replaced the bridge with a harmonica bridge then leveled the frets after some neck adjustment .. polished this beautiful piece of wood added some new strings and it sings just like the real deal i might keep it for a while to me its worth every bit of 300 bucks or more ..proof is in the recording!

t2fsu1 said...

Hey Patrick,
(I know it's been awhile...LOL)
Although I couldn't find any documentation on it, I believe that the SSL3 by Silvertone had a basswood body...I loved that guitar!

Apologies for taking soooo long to get back to you.